Maya Angelou was an American poet, memoirist, and civil rights activist. She published seven autobiographies, three books of essays, several books of poetry, and was credited with a list of plays, movies, and television shows spanning over 50 years. Here are 10 Maya Angelou quotes to remind you to rise!
1. My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style.
2. One isn’t necessarily born with courage, but one is born with potential. Without courage, we cannot practice any other virtue with consistency. We can’t be kind, true, merciful, generous, or honest.
3. Bitterness is like cancer. It eats upon the host. But anger is like fire. It burns it all clean.
4. You may not control all the events that happen to you, but you can decide not to be reduced by them.
5. A wise woman wishes to be no one’s enemy; a wise woman refuses to be anyone’s victim.
6. I’ve learned that you shouldn’t go through life with a catcher’s mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw something back.
7. Life loves to be taken by the lapel and told: ‘I’m with you kid. Let’s go.’
8. Don’t let the incidents which take place in life bring you low. And certainly don’t whine. You can be brought low, that’s OK, but don’t be reduced by them. Just say, ‘That’s life.’
9. I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me.
10. It’s the fire in my eyes, And the flash of my teeth, The swing in my waist, And the joy in my feet. I’m a woman. Phenomenally.
Women try to tame themselves as they get older but the women who feel and look the best are the ones who grow wilder. Join me on my Growing Wilder E-Course and awaken your wild spirit. Click below for details.
(c) Samantha Wilson 2017. All Rights Reserved.