Joanna Lumley is another one of my favourite British women who is definitely growing wilder…. 10 quotes from the horse’s mouth….
1. When you’re young, you think life is forever, but it’s finite. I’m 68, so even by the maddest measurements, I’m in the last bit of life.
2. You only have one go at life, which is thrilling. Only you can make yourself into who you want to be. Don’t blame anybody else. You are entitled to free fresh air, and that’s it. Do the rest yourself.
3. A lot of us are ruled by fear during our lives – afraid we’ll get burgled, afraid a dog will bite us, afraid we’ll get fat, afraid someone will leave us. Once you lose fear, life becomes sweeter, and that happens as you get older. I’m sure by the time I’m 80, I’ll be able to do absolutely anything!
4. On how young women should behave: “Don’t look like trash, don’t get drunk, don’t be sick down your front, don’t break your heels and stagger about in the wrong clothes at midnight. This is bad. It’s not me being a snob about it. It’s not me being an old woman talking to young women, its just standard practice for how our species should behave. Don’t behave badly.”
5. I’ve looked forward to being older because you will have that many more miles covered. We mustn’t be led into thinking getting old is bad. Growing old is good.
6. Women are very different to men, and that hasn’t been respected. So when people say there’s never been a good woman painter or poet or engineer or whatever, they don’t understand that our skills are many simultaneously and men’s skills are single.
7. I don’t lose my temper. I used to, but I realised I would probably die of a brain hemorrhage. So I’ve governed myself not to mind about things. I have no road rage or anything like that. Because it’s life-shortening. And also, there’s no need for it; it uses up energy.
8. I don’t think men are that attracted by glamour. I think women are attracted by glamour. I think men are attracted by a sense of friendship.
9. That’s the staggering, humorous thing about money. If you haven’t got taste, money doesn’t matter: You’ll always look ghastly.
10. I have never had anything done to my face because then you end up looking as they all do in America. Look at Judi Dench: she would never be as good if she had had work done.
Women try to tame themselves as they get older but the women who feel and look the best are the ones who grow wilder. Join me on my Growing Wilder E-Course and awaken your wild spirit. Click below for details.
(c) Samantha Wilson 2017. All Rights Reserved.