Cheryl Strayed is the Author of the Book and Oscar nominated movie adaption “Wild”, played by Reese Witherspoon.
In her own words from her website ” At twenty-two, Cheryl Strayed thought she had lost everything. In the wake of her mother’s death, her family scattered and her own marriage was soon destroyed. Four years later, with nothing more to lose, she made the most impulsive decision of her life.
With no experience or training, driven only by blind will, she would hike more than a thousand miles of the Pacific Crest Trail from the Mojave Desert through California and Oregon to Washington State—and she would do it alone.
Told with suspense and style, sparkling with warmth and humor, Wild powerfully captures the terrors and pleasures of one young woman forging ahead against all odds on a journey that maddened, strengthened, and ultimately healed her”.
Here are ten Cheryl Strayed quotes to remind you to grow wilder…
1. “The universe, I’d learned, was never, ever kidding. It would take whatever it wanted and it would never give it back.”
2. “The best thing you can possibly do with your life is to tackle the motherfucking shit out of it.”
3. “Let yourself be gutted. Let it open you. Start here.”
4. “I’d finally come to understand what it had been: a yearning for a way out, when actually what I had wanted to find was a way in.”
5. “It is impossible for you to go on as you were before, so you must go on as you never have.”
6. “Fear, to a great extent, is born of a story we tell ourselves, and so I chose to tell myself a different story from the one women are told. I decided I was safe. I was strong. I was brave. Nothing could vanquish me. Insisting on this story was a form of mind control, but for the most part, it worked.”
7. “The place of true healing is a fierce place. It’s a giant place. it’s a place of monstrous beauty and endless dark and glimmering light.”
8. “You don’t need a reason to leave. Wanting to leave is enough. Leaving doesn’t mean you’re incapable of real love or that you’ll never love anyone else again. It doesn’t mean you’re morally bankrupt or psychologically demented or a nymphomaniac. It means you wish to change the terms of one particular relationship. That’s all. Be brave enough to break your own heart.”
9. “Hello, fear. Thank you for being here. You’re my indication that I’m doing what I need to do.”
10. “You don’t have a right to the cards you believe you should have been dealt. You have an obligation to play the hell out of the ones you’re holding.”
Would you like to experience the Camino spirit and life of a Pilgrim? Join me on a seven day adventure on the Portuguese Camino de Santiago next summer. We’ll wander the way together. Click the link below for full details.
(c) Samantha Wilson 2017. All Rights Reserved.