Bell Hooks is an American Author known for her social activism against oppression and for woman´s rights and race. Here are 10 Bell Hooks quotes to remind you to grow wilder….
1. I will not have my life narrowed down. I will not bow down to somebody else’s whim or to someone else’s ignorance.
2. When we drop fear, we can draw nearer to people, we can draw nearer to the earth, we can draw nearer to all the heavenly creatures that surround us.
3. All over the world, young males and females, schooled in the art of patriarchal thinking, are building an identity on a foundation that sees the will to do violence as the essential way to assert being.
4. Death is with you all the time; you get deeper in it as you move towards it, but it’s not unfamiliar to you. It’s always been there, so what becomes unfamiliar to you when you pass away from the moment is really life.
5. I don’t think you can hate anything that you know intimately. There is no fine line separating love from hate because there’s a deep chasm separating love from hate.
6. For me, forgiveness and compassion are always linked: how do we hold people accountable for wrongdoing and yet at the same time remain in touch with their humanity enough to believe in their capacity to be transformed?
7. Since loving is about knowing, we have more meaningful love relationships when we know each other and it takes time to know each other.
8. To live fixated on the future is to engage in psychological denial. It is a form of psychic violence that prepares us to accept the violence needed to ensure the maintenance of imperialist, future-oriented society.
9. I’m so disturbed when my women students behave as though they can only read women, or black students behave as though they can only read blacks, or white students behave as though they can only identify with a white writer.
10. The political core of any movement for freedom in the society has to have the political imperative to protect free speech.