Germaine Greer is an Australian-born writer who led the second wave of feminism in the late 20th Century. She believes in the liberation of women rather than equality feminism and her work such as the Female Eunuch made her a household name in the seventies.
Here are 10 Germaine Greer quotes to remind you to grow wilder…
1.Freedom is fragile and must be protected. To sacrifice it, even as a temporary measure, is to betray it.
2. Yet if a woman never lets herself go, how will she ever know how far she might have got? If she never takes off her high-heeled shoes, how will she ever know how far she could walk or how fast she could run?
3. The surest guide to the correctness of the path that women take is joy in the struggle. Revolution is the festival of the oppressed.
4. Security is when everything is settled, when nothing can happen to you; security is the denial of life.
5. Developing the muscles of the soul demands no competitive spirit, no killer instinct, although it may erect pain barriers that the spiritual athlete must crash through.
6. I didn’t fight to get women out from behind vacuum cleaners to get them onto the board of Hoover.
7. Women live lives of continual apology. They are born and raised to take the blame for other people’s behavior. If they are treated without respect, they tell themselves that they have failed to earn respect. If their husbands do not fancy them, it is because they are unattractive.
8. It takes a great deal of courage and independence to decide to design your own image instead of the one that society rewards, but it gets easier as you go along.
9. Guilt is one side of a nasty triangle; the other two are shame and stigma. This grim coalition combines to inculpate women themselves of the crimes committed against them.
10. Now as before, women must refuse to be meek and guileful, for truth cannot be served by dissimulation. Women who fancy that they manipulate the world by pussy power and gentle cajolery are fools. It is slavery to have to adopt such tactics.