I first heard of the Camino de Santiago when reading The Pilgrimage by Paulo Coelho. Paulo walked the legendary Camino de Santiago in the 1980´s and details his Pilgrim journey and the lessons learnt along the way.
Here are 10 quotes from The Pilgrimage to inspire you to walk the Camino de Santiago:-
1. “The journey, which prior to this was torture because all you wanted to do was get there, is now beginning to become a pleasure. It is the pleasure of searching and the pleasure of an adventure. You are nourishing something that’s very important—your dreams.”
2. “When we renounce our dreams, we find peace and enjoy a brief period of tranquility, but the dead dreams begin to rot inside us and to infect the whole atmosphere in which we live. What we hoped to avoid in the Fight – disappointment and defeat – become the sole legacy of our cowardice.”
3. “Life always teaches us more than the Road to Santiago does,’ he answered. ‘But we don’t have much faith in what life teaches us.”
4. “The good fight is the one that’s fought in the name of our dreams.”
5. “In spite of the knowledge that there were any ways in which I could fail, I had taken the first step.”
6. “The second symptom of the death of our dreams lies in our certainties. Because we don’t want to see life as a grand adventure, we begin to think of ourselves as wise and fair and correct in asking so little of life.”
7. “We must never stop dreaming. Dreams provide nourishment for the soul, just as a meal does for the body.”
8. “We always know which is the best road to follow, but we follow only the road that we have become accustomed to.”
9. “Even if I were not able to find my sword, the pilgrimage along the Road to Santiago was going to help me to find myself.”
10. “When you travel, you experience, in a very practical way, the act of rebirth. You confront completely new situations, the day passes more slowly, and on most journeys you don’t even understand the language the people speak.”
Would you like to experience the Camino spirit and life of a Pilgrim? Join me on a seven-day adventure on the Portuguese Camino de Santiago. Visit my Wild Camino page or click the link below.
(c) Samantha Wilson 2018. All Rights Reserved.