“Of All The Roads You Take In Life, Make Sure A Few Of Them Are Made Of Dirt”
John Muir was a bit of a legend, my friends! Known as the “Father of the Mountains”, his work and his writings have inspired millions of people to go out into the wildness and heal in nature.
Here are 10 quotes from his adventure writings to remind you to grow wilder:-
1. “The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.”
2. “Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity”
3. “The mountains are calling and I must go.”
4. “As long as I live, I’ll hear waterfalls and birds and winds sing. I’ll interpret the rocks, learn the language of flood, storm, and the avalanche. I’ll acquaint myself with the glaciers and wild gardens, and get as near the heart of the world as I can”.”
5. “In every walk with Nature one receives far more than he seeks.”
6. “I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news”
7. “And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul”
8. “Everybody needs beauty…places to play in and pray in where nature may heal and cheer and give strength to the body and soul alike.”
9. “Wander a whole summer if you can…time will not be taken from the sum of your life. Instead of shortening, it will definitely lengthen it and make you truly immortal.”
10. “Keep close to Nature’s heart… and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.”
(C) Samantha Wilson 2019. All Rights Reserved.